Healthy, fit women and men are some of the best candidates for liposuction. At his Memphis, Tennessee-area practice, Dr. Ronald Johnson uses liposuction to strategically remove pockets of fat and smooth bulges in areas that don't respond to exercise and good eating habits. Some individuals inherit certain body shapes that can be changed only through liposuction.
At our Germantown office, Dr. Johnson listens to patients' aesthetic goals and uses his extensive experience to recommend the best treatment plan. request a consultation online to meet with him, or call our office at (901) 737-1050 and a member of our friendly staff will help schedule an appointment.
Do You Need Liposuction?
Liposuction slims and reshapes specific areas of the body by removing disproportional areas of fat, improving your body contours, and ultimately enhancing your self-image.
Liposuction reduces localized fat deposits in the following areas:
- Hips and buttocks
- Abdomen and waist
- Upper arms
- Inner knees
- Cheeks, chin, and neck
- Calves and ankles
Body contouring using liposuction is perennially one of the most common cosmetic procedures performed in the U.S., in part because both men and women are candidates. It's important to remember liposuction isn't a weight-loss procedure. The amount of weight actually lost is relatively small, but the targeted results make it appear as if you've lost a noticeable amount of weight.
The best body contouring candidates have adopted a reasonable program of exercise and sensible eating, but who have localized fat deposits in areas resistant to fat loss, such as the abdomen, flanks, buttocks, chin, and the male breast. Most of these people benefit by removing excess fat through liposuction.
Liposuction techniques have evolved considerably and now include procedures that use various types of energy, including ultrasound and lasers, as part of the process. Traditional liposuction, often called tumescent liposuction, involves injecting a saline solution that includes a local anesthetic, which helps swell and solidify the fatty tissue while also minimizing bleeding.
Ultrasonic-assisted liposuction (UAL) is also offered by Dr. Johnson. The ultrasound energy melts the fat, which is suctioned out through small cannulas. It's considered to be a gentler form of liposuction because it requires less vigorous movements by the surgeon to break up the fat.
VASERlipo® is a type of ultrasonic liposuction used by Dr. Johnson. Sometimes called liposelection, it's well-suited for the abdomen, thighs, love handles, and chest. VASERlipo can often be used during male breast reduction procedures to reduce bruising and downtime.
Liposuction is an outpatient procedure that typically begins with Dr. Johnson making 1 or 2 small incisions per area to be treated through which he inserts the cannula. The incisions are small enough that it requires only a couple of stitches to close them. Dr. Johnson uses the cannula to break up and remove the fat.
Once an area is treated, the patient is given a special garment to wear that applies steady pressure to minimize swelling and bruising. Some swelling occurs and takes a few weeks to completely diminish, so that it's not possible to see the procedure's full results until then.
Frequently Asked Questions
When will I see full results from liposuction?
You might hear us call liposuction the "operation of threes." The first 3 weeks most people feel that we must have put in fat, instead of removing it, due to the swelling. At 3 weeks, most of the surgical swelling is gone, and the real improvement begins. For the next 3 months, about 90% of the improvement takes place. For 3 months after that the other 10% occurs.
What are some of the benefits of liposuction?
Liposuction does not prolong or save a life, but it can improve quality of life. The improvement in appearance frequently encourages a person to adopt a healthier lifestyle and perhaps a personal fitness program, since they now have something to be proud of and maintain.
Will the fat come back in other places?
The fat cells removed by the operation do not come back, but it is possible to gain weight and fill up fat cells in other locations, even those which are left behind in the treated area. So our recommendation is to maintain body weight approximately where it was on the day of surgery, or even reduce it slightly.
Will my insurance pay for any part of my surgery?
Because the procedure is designed to improve the appearance, it is considered aesthetic, or cosmetic, and is not covered by insurance.
Can I combine liposuction with other procedures?
Yes, liposuction is often performed to enhance the results of other procedures, or in combination with other procedures for more comprehensive results. It is often a component of mommy makeover procedures and gynecomastia surgeries.